How do I work with EPS file within Inkscape

Contains information on various graphical tools for members of the business team (others are of course welcome to use as well).
Joe_Chan

How do I work with EPS file within Inkscape

Post by Joe_Chan »

EPS is a postscript (vector) based file format and is a common format to be used by digital graphic artists. Although this format predated PDF, it is still commonly used for companies in their logo(s). This way a single logo can be used in any sized media from large banner to company letter head to business cards.

Inkscape has the capability to open and work with EPS files, however, in order to do so, one has to installed a postscript/pdf interpreter. For the Windows plateform, Ghostscript is available at http://ghostscript.com/.

Once you download and installed ghostscript, you will need to enter in 2 Paths into your environment for Inkscape to find Ghostscript's library. You will need to do the followings:

[For Windows 7/8/10 - all in desktop mode]
1 - Make sure all instances of Inkscape are closed. Open up File Explorer.
2 - Right-Click on 'This PC' and then select Properties. This will open a new window with basic information about your computer.
3. On the Left, click on Advanced System Settings.
4. A new window will open with 'System Properties' in the title.
5. Go to the 'Advanced' tab if not already on it.
6. At the bottom of the Advanced tab, you should find and click on the button that said 'Environment Variables' on it.
7. On the new window, the bottom half contains the System Variables section, find the variable named "Path" and then click 'Edit'.
8. Enter in the new path to where you have installed Ghostscript's library and binary. [For Ghostscipt ver 9.18]
- For a 64bit Windows OS, typically, it will be something like C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.18\bin and C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.18\lib.
- For a 32bit Windows OS, typically it will be something like C:\Program Files (86)\gs\gs9.18\bin and C:\Program Files (86)\gs\gs9.18\lib.
9. Click through all the OKs and then you are all done.
10. Open Inkscape, go to Import, on 'Files of type', you should now see Encapsulated Postscript (.eps) about mid way of the pulldown list.

Hope this is helpful.
Ducky

Re: How do I work with EPS file within Inkscape

Post by Ducky »

Hey Joe, the forum seems to work good on the I pad Tapatalk app. Gimp is the other adobe equivalent software to try

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ducky

Re: How do I work with EPS file within Inkscape

Post by Ducky »

Inkscape usually works in .svg files which are also vector based. I think this is a good one for a you tube video

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk